ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position: Senior Transformation Agenda Specialist – Output Markets
Term of Employment: One year with possibility of extension
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline: January 25, 2020
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery-oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoA), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentor-ships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Senior Transformation Agenda Specialist – Output Markets (STAS) being based in the MOA Delivery Unit (DU) in the Outputs and Crop Protection Program focusing on agricultural output marketing will primarily be responsible for providing local grounding and technical content support to the director of the Program in mapping out and strengthening the agricultural outputs marketing systems from producers to end markets. The STAS will assist and work closely with the MoA, Ministry of Trade and Industry (MOTI), Regional Bureaus of Agriculture (RBA), (Regional Bureaus of Trade (RBoT) in engaging with other key stakeholders including logistic enterprises and transporters, farmers’ cooperatives, farmers’ cooperative unions, Farm Service Centers, traders, wholesalers, retailers and other actors. The primary aim will be to increase the production and productivity of the crops sector through the creation of enabling environment for ease of market transactions, decrease market dysfunctions, and ultimately increase small-holder farmer income while also addressing the issues related to the price and health issues of end consumers.
The STAS will be involved in supporting the MOA output market directorate on effective output market gap analysis and possible interventions in outputs marketing. The STAS recruit will also work closely with other technical staff in the DU team and partners at the regional level in order to create synergies and maximize outputs and outcomes at regional level. Along this line, s/he will guide and provide support on implementation plans and strategies for value addition and access to markets for small holder farmers. The STAS will work closely with relevant teams in ATA such as RFS, Cooperative, Marketing, etc. towards fulfilling the objectives of creating a full-fledged distribution of the most critical outputs for crop productivity.
The ideal STAS would possess a passion for improving the lives of small-holder farmers, a deep familiarity with Ethiopia’s agricultural system and extensive knowledge of production, agricultural marketing preferably output marketing and market actors. S/he would likewise possess the entrepreneurial ability to visualize transformation, to mobilize stakeholders across system, to be innovative and to drive practical change on the ground. S/he will also possess as strong interest in pursuing a career in the public sector and in continuing to share the analytical, content and leadership/management learning’s gained through the position with future colleagues within the public sector.
This position will officially report to the Transformation Agenda Advisor Markets I, of the Delivery Unit. The STAS will be hired by the ATA on a government contract, towards the ATA’s intention of building public sector capability.
- Support the undertaking of analytical studies to identify systemic bottlenecks in agricultural markets
- Assist in the conception, launch, and support over time of a portfolio of initiatives designed to measurably improve the development of agricultural markets in Ethiopia
- Support in building the capacity, as necessary, of key government, private and informal actors in Ethiopia’s markets system to enable long term improvements within the agricultural markets system.
- Engage other programs within the ATA to ensure that efforts around market development and enhancements are aligned and supportive of other activities undertaken in the agricultural sector, especially in Agricultural Commercialization Clusters project.
- Strengthen the institutional capacity of public and private market actors to promote marketing of Ethiopian agricultural products in domestic and export markets.
- Performance manage ATA’s various market linkage and development initiatives, setting key performance indicators, milestones and targets; engage stakeholders to creatively solve problems and overcome obstacles in order to achieve desired results.
- Critically assess capacity gaps hindering the effective implementation of market development initiatives and develop approaches for improving capabilities as required.
- Provide technical output to the design of ATA projects related to the program area
- Set key performance indicators, milestones and targets; engage stakeholders to creatively solve problems and overcome obstacles to achieve desired results.
- Integrate the Market Development Program with other ATA programs and projects to achieve synergies and outcomes that impact the broader agricultural system.
- BSc or master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Marketing Management, Business Administration or another relevant subject;
- Above 6 years hands on experience for master’s and above 8 years for BSc holders in the field of markets, preferably in agriculture.
- Profound knowledge and understanding of Ethiopia’s agricultural market system, with a broad perspective on how the entire system operates (how public, private and informal actors operate within the system);
- Deep knowledge of Agricultural Marketing systems including the existing market support services such as market-oriented grades and standards, packaging and branding, commodity certification, contract farming, warehouse receipts system and commodity exchanges
- Ability to coordinate and manage stakeholders – particularly the key market players – within major agricultural commodity markets;
- Ability to conduct markets research and market analysis, identify systemic bottlenecks and come up with potential recommendations;
- Ability to conduct rapid market appraisal, market development research and come up with appropriate intervention recommendations for implementation;
- Experience in prioritizing and sequencing both programmatic and operation activities;
- Experience with program design, performance management, learning systems and monitoring & evaluation;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, start-up environment, with an emphasis on high-performance, teamwork, accountability and results;
- Ability to provide coaching and mentoring to team members in the areas of markets, strategic thinking, project design, best management practices, and building strong partnerships;
- Ability to build professional relationships with different sectors and persons;
- Highly facilitative and collaborative leadership style;
- Excellent adaptive problem-solver in challenging environment;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service;
- Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in at least Amharic and/or one additional Ethiopian language is a plus.
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter and (ii) CV (maximum 3 pages) to https://apply.ata.gov.et
Please DO NOT submit scans of certificates with your application.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.