Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency
ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position: Project Officer I – Accounting Mentor
Term of Employment: One year with possibility of extension
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline: January 18, 2020
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery-oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoA), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The EAAP project is working with enterprise in the Incubation and Acceleration Track who are focused on the honey and wax value chain. Access to finance, as one of the targeted core four services of the project, is a critical component to catalyse growth of agribusinesses engaged in honey and wax processing. The project is seeking to recruit a Project Officer – Accounting Mentor to support the existing Senior Accounting Mentor to provide support to the enterprises that are part of the project. The Project Officer – Accounting Mentor must understand the financial situations and needs of the enterprise and must be able to suggest and facilitate financing solutions through connecting with financial institutions and/or other innovative means of financing will be of immense value to the enterprise.
As such the project is looking for an individual with experience in preparing and appraising financial statements and hands-on-experience in cost accounting techniques acceptable at national and international levels. The Accounting Mentor in close consultation with the Senior Accounting Mentor, is expected to provide accounting and mentorship services to the enterprises based on the country’s and internationally accepted accounting principles and practices.
This position will officially report to the Senior Accounting Mentor of the Ethiopian Agribusiness Acceleration Platform. Working days are flexible based on deliverables.
- Supporting enterprise’s financial/accounting staff to transit from existing practices of capturing and recording of data and preparing financial statements to internationally and domestic acceptable financial accounting principles and standard and best practice.
- Analyse, appraise and evaluate the financial statements and audit reports of the enterprise and validate their accuracy regarding whether they meet modern accounting principles and standards.
- Assist the enterprise’s existing financial/accounting staff to Introduce the recommended modern data capturing, processing, costing and financial analysis templates and reporting systems.
- Assist the enterprise’s existing financial/accounting staff to prepare financial statements of the enterprise reflecting its past performance and future operations
- Guide and assist the enterprise’s existing financial/accounting staff to design and prepare financial accounting policy manual using best practices and acceptable principles and policies of the country.
- Assist in preparing budgeting, financial forecasting and cash flow requirements of the enterprise and recommend mode of financing based on the strategic/business plan.
- Report performance and brief progress updates about his/her duties to the Senior Accounting Mentor and the EAAP project team regularly.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Financial Management, or other relevant fields.
- At least 5 years of experience at middle level positions for bachelor’s and 3 years for Master’s holders in manufacturing or agro-processing companies with proven track record of preparing nationally and internationally acceptable financial statements, developing financial and cost accounting standards & manuals.
- Basic understanding of the national finance policy and directives Especially IFRS.
- Strong understanding and practical experience with good practice in agribusiness development and value chain development.
- Excellent understanding of the country’s taxes and duties, finance and accounting regulations, policies and standards, market trends and dynamics within the Ethiopian agro processing sector
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills with hands on experience on computerized accounting systems (Peachtree); and Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong capacity to mentor and builds capacity of staff.
- Ability to work in and contribute to team building environment.
- Availability to travel from Addis Ababa.
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter and (ii) CV (maximum 3 pages) to https://apply.ata.gov.et
It is mandatory to mention the position title in the subject line of your application email
Please DO NOT submit scans of educational and experience certificates with your application.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://apply.ata.gov.et →